Theodore's World: Berlin, Conn.Travel To Join Gathering of Eagles

« Please Call C-Span About Gathering of Eagles | Main | In Honor Of The Brigade At The Battle of Fredericksburg on St. Patrick's Day »

March 17, 2007

Berlin, Conn.Travel To Join Gathering of Eagles

Berlin Residents to Protect Monuments (Connecticut Vets Travel to Join Gathering of Eagles)
new britain herald

Berlin, Conn.

In recent years, veterans have felt disrespected as war and recognition monuments in Washington, D.C., have been defaced by individuals who have joined in the Act Now to Stop War and End Racism (ANSWER) annual March, but several residents have said they won't let it happen again.

This Saturday, a group of individuals led by former Marine and Berlin resident Salvatore Sena will go to Washington to protect the monuments and protest any attempts to deface the property by forming a human wall, joining hand in hand with others from across the nation and even Canada.

"Word has come around that a group of extremists has plans to exercise their freedom of speech and protest the war by defacing national monuments," Sena said in an e-mail correspondence with The Herald. "I feel that enough is enough and that's why I will be joining my fellow Americans in guarding and protecting our national monuments in D.C."

The decision to provide a protective human shield around the monuments came after several individuals who had marched in the anti-war protests held in March 2006 turned to vandalism during the event, causing damage to the Vietnam Memorial through what they have said was "an act of freedom of speech" in opposition to war efforts.

Sena said he and other participants from the Berlin area, several being members of the Marine Corps League, are traveling to the site to take part in a peaceful protest of their march with a group known as the Gathering of Eagles.

The group will include individuals from across the United States and veteran soldiers currently residing in Canada. These participants come from all walks of life including organizations such as the Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Riders, Patriot Guard Riders, National Order of the Purple Heart, Gold Star and Blue Star Mothers, and various veterans' groups and POW organizations.

According to Sena, the extremists involved with ANSWER and Code Pink, a second group that will join in the march, represent only 17 percent of society. He said with a joint effort from many in the other 83 percent, he is confident they can protect the monument from a destructive fate in 2007.

Once ANSWER was made aware that there would be a peaceful standoff at the Vietnam Memorial in Constitution Park, it rescheduled its rally to be held at the Henry Beacon Drive Park. This was later named a starting point for its march toward the Pentagon.

The Gathering of Eagles will use Constitution Park as its gathering point and Sena said they will protect several area monuments, not just the Vietnam Memorial. Leaders also encourage participants to arrive early and stay aware as they believe extremists may still attempt to sneak through lines to deface the property.

"As an American veteran, I cannot and will not stand for this type of behavior from any extremist," said Sena in the e-mail. "I hold too much respect for the soldier who gave up his or her life for our country."

Wild Thing's comment.......

God and the spirits of American patriots walk with the Gathering of Eagles.

I got this article from a cousin of mine that lives in Conn. So I wanted to share it with all of you.

Posted by Wild Thing at March 17, 2007 12:44 AM


Berlin's about fifteen miles from where I am now. Used to hang around there. Patriots all.

During WWII, the town officially changed the pronunciation of its name, which at that time was pronounced the same as Germany's capital, to "BURR-lin", with the accent on the first syllable.

Today you know who's from around here and who isn't by the way they pronounce the name.

Posted by: Rhod at March 17, 2007 08:42 AM

We need to see more of this!
Americans fighting back against the machine that is liberalism. The machine that fights to take away our freedoms.
Good for Berlin, CT!
I stand with you.
My flag is going out today.

Posted by: Lynn at March 17, 2007 09:02 AM

Rhod, that is so neat to hear about, thank you so much.

Posted by: Wild Thing at March 18, 2007 12:39 AM